Thursday 14 August 2014

Adopting a "Sensitive" Cat - Melly's Story

Lots of people ask us about adoption, what it entails, how can they prepare, what do they need to buy, what can they expect?

There are lots of things you can do to prepare for the adoption of a cat and we can offer lots of advice on this subject, but I really think the most important thing you need to have is alopt of love to give, and patience.

Many rescue cats are nervous when moving into a new home, sometimes they have been through terrible traumas, and other times they have just been reliquished into our care with no major trauma.  Some cats are very shy and/or nervous, others are super confident but either way, re-homing is a stressful time for any cat.

I adopted my 7 year old boy, Melly, in January 2013 and has fast become my BFF!  We live alone and he is the centre of attention at all times, much to the annoyance of most of my visitors.
Melly just chillin on the bed

Melly was taken into the care of Cats Protection after his owner passed away and understandably, he found the whole process very stressful.  He went straight to a foster home where he was showered with love and attention but he started to overgroom due to the stress.  When I first went to visit him, his little bum was as bald as can be and his tail only had a little bit of fur on the end.  Picture a baldy butt and a pom pom tail!

Needless to say, I fell completely head over heels in love with him, bald bits and all.  I gave myself 24 hours to think everything through, but the decision was made, Melly was coming home with me.

The first 2 days were pretty stressful for both of us, Melly was very shy and nervous and I had never adopted an adult cat before.  Based on advice from Cats Protection, I gave him space and on day 3, he started to follow me around, and came when I called him.  He even came on my bed to sleep that night (under the duvet I might add) .... and he has spent nearly every night there ever since.

He is an adorable boy, he is very affectionate, although not opposed to telling me off with a nip if I annoy him!  

He still has his problems and over-grooms if he is feeling a bit stressed but we have a wonderful vet who we work with to keep it under control.


Since adopting Melly, I have gone on to join as a volunteer with Cats Protection Camberley & District as Publicity Officer, and I am loving every minute of it.

I can honestly recommend adopting an older, "sensitive" cat as he makes me smile and laugh every day and, without wanting to sound too soft, he has completed my life in a way I didn't think possible.
Melly - Super Cat
For more information on bringing home your rescue cat, check out our advice guide

Look at his grogeous little grumpy face!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment